HAWAII COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
HILO COMMUNITY POLICING PROGRAM
SERGEANT JAMES SANBORN
JUNE 29, 2001MEDIA RELEASE
The Hawaii County Police Department has issued the following information for the general public about the upcoming July Fourth activities on the Big Island:
- The County Department of Parks and Recreation will prohibit the setting up of tents along Hilo’s Bayfront area any time before Wednesday, July 4. Individuals may put up tents only from 6 a.m. on July 4, 2001, and must dismantle their tents no later than 11 p.m.
- The Department of Parks and Recreation will also prohibit tents from being set up within Liliuokalani Park on July 4 because of Independence Day celebration activities within the park. In addition, Lihiwai Street just beyond Nihon Restaurant to Banyan Drive will be closed to traffic from 4 p.m., Tuesday, July 3, to 12 midnight, July 4.
- The State Department of Land and Natural Resources and State Parks will prohibit the setting up of tents on the lawn area mauka of Kamehameha Avenue before July 4. Individuals may erect their tents from 6 a.m. on July 4 and break them down no later than 11 p.m.
- The Department of Land and Natural Resources will also prohibit vehicle access to a portion of Bayfront overlooking the Wailoa Estuary and west of the canal. The gate will be secured from 8 p.m. Monday, July 2, until 7:30 a.m. Thursday, July 5.
- Fireworks may be set off only between 1 p.m. and 9 p.m. on July 4 only in accordance with HRS, Section 132D-3. In addition, a permit for the purchase and use of non-aerial common fireworks is required.
- The use of fireworks and consumption of alcoholic beverages within the county and state jurisdictions within the Bayfront area will be prohibited.
The police are asking for the public’s cooperation in making the July 4 celebration this year a safe one.
# # #