HAWAII COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
HILO VICE SECTION
ACTING LIEUTENANT MARSHALL K. KANEHAILUA
FEBRUARY 20, 2003
Six persons have been arrested on Grand Jury indictments and charged with a number of gambling-related offenses.
The six, all Hilo residents, were arrested during the past week.
The arrestees and the offenses for which they were charged are:
- Kaleonahe Chung, 28, with eight counts of gambling.
- Valerie C. Ferrieira, 45, with four counts of promotion of gambling and one count of gambling.
- Samuel K. Kamahele, 32, with 12 counts of promotion of gambling, eight counts of gambling and one count of possession of a gambling device.
- Aaron Jitchaku, 45, with nine counts of promotion of gambling and one count of possession of a gambling device.
- James Macomber, 30, with six counts of promotion of gambling.
- Ethan Motta, 34, with 10 counts of gambling.
They were among those arrested during a six-week undercover investigation that culminated in a December 21, 2000, raid on a “craps” game at Reyn’s Repair at 831 Leilani Street in Hilo. During that raid, police arrested 10 persons and confiscated a craps table, gambling devices and more than $9,000 in cash.
All the defendants have appeared in Circuit Court, pleaded not guilty and were placed on supervised released pending their next court appearance.
# # #