HAWAII POLICE DEPARTMENT
LIEUTENANT DUANE RAPOZA
MARCH 3, 2006
On March 3, 2006, (Friday) at about 6:50 a.m., Hawai`i County Fire Department personnel responded to the Hilo Police Station at 349 Kapiolani Street, on a report of a smoky haze and mild burning odor emanating from an electrical/radio component room adjacent to the Communications-Dispatch Section.
It was determined that two electrical components (Rectifiers) that work in conjunction with the police microwave radio system had malfunctioned and were found to be electrically charred. Fire personnel disconnected the components and utilized portable fans to clear the area of the haze and odor. There were no exposed flames or structural damage because of the incident. The electrical components had an estimated value of $2,000, and were replaced by police department radio shop technicians.
During this incident, the personnel within the Communications-Dispatch Section that operate the police emergency telephone and radio communications were evacuated to alternate dispatch sites. There was no disruption in the receiving of 911 emergency calls for service as a result of the relocation. At approximately 10:45 a.m., personnel returned to the Communications‑Dispatch Section and operations returned to normal, with uninterrupted service to the public.
# # #