Hawaiʻi Police Department
Captain Richard Miyamoto
Big Island police wish to inform the public that harvesting and trucking of eucalyptus trees along Highway 19 has begun and will increase the number of trucks on the roadway, especially from the Laupāhoehoe area to Kawaihae.
Police ask motorists to use added caution when sharing the road with any truck or bus. Due to their size and cargo, motorists are reminded of some safety tips:
- Be aware of falling or kicked up debris.
- Be aware that larger vehicles make wider turns.
- Watch out for blind spots.
- Expect frequent stops by buses.
- Be aware that buses will be loading and unloading passengers.
- Note that larger vehicles need longer stopping distances due to their size and weight.
- Allow more time when passing large vehicles because of their length.
- Exercise patience!
Please help to keep our roads safe.