Hawaii Police Department
Officer Joseph Botelho Jr.
January 22, 2009
| 1st Place 9-10 Division
| 1st Place 11-12 Division
Big Island Hoops
| 1st Place 13-14 Division
| 1st Place Girls 12 & Under
Above the Rim
| 1st Place Girls 14 & Under
The Hawaii Isle Police Activities League (HI-PAL) held its 28th Annual Winter Basketball Classic in Hilo from December 26-29.
Thirty-seven teams (five from Oahu) participated in the following age divisions: 9-10 division, 11-12 division, 13-14 division, girls 12 and under division and girls 14 and under division. Nearly 350 youths between the ages of 9 and 14 participated in the tournament.
Below is a list of the winners from each age bracket in alphabetical order. Above is a photo of each team taken after the championship games, which were held at the new University of Hawaii at Hilo gymnasium.
- 9/10 Division – Stingrays: Ethan Awa, Mahina Ellis-Noa, Austin Ewing, Tanner Grey, Kaiya Leleiwi, Ryan Malone, Chanelle Molina, Kauila Wall, Brant Yamamoto (coaches: Donnie Awa and Glenn Grey)
- 11/12 Division – Big Island Hoops: Dylan Bibilone, Jordyn Breitbarth, Joshua Breitbarth, Jay Chang, Bryce Filipe, Micah Kanehailua, Drew Kell, Tolby Saito (coaches: Mark Saito and TJ Yasuhara)
- 13/14 Division – Warriors: Ilikai Calip, Kupono Decker, James Jordan Fujimoto, Scott Harrison, Shaun Kagawa, Blaine Manlinguis, Varrick Suezaki, Deion Utrera, Ikaika Villanueva (coach: Brian Suezaki)
- Girls 12 & Under Division – Above the Rim: Emirose Aguinaldo, Chailey Cabalis, Shaynalynn Domingo, Shawn Mori, Danielle Oda, Ashlyn Santos, Darlenne Uchima, Shaina Villasista, Kiana Yamabe, Sydnee Yokota (coach: Ryan Salvador)
- Girls 14 & Under Division – Andrews Slammers: Chelsey Ansui, Nicole Antonio, Vanessa Ignacio, Zena Muranaka, Tiffany Pacheco, Ashlie Santiago, Keani Shirai (coaches: Hamilton Manley, Casey Shirai and Linda Lopez)
The HI-Pal Program would like to thank everyone who participated in this event as well as the organizations and businesses that helped to make it a successful event.
HI-PAL provides social and athletic activities for youths of Hawaii Island between the ages of 5-17 without duplicating activities provided by the county’s Department of Parks and Recreation.
For information about HI-PAL or about future HI-PAL events, you may call the East Hawaii HI-PAL office at 961-2220 or the West Hawaii HI-PAL office at 326-4646, extension 258.