HAWAII COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
EAST HAWAII VICE SECTION
LIEUTENANT NORMAN N. KEAMO
SEPTEMBER 26, 2003
Big Island police officers seized more than 3,000 marijuana plants, conducted five search warrants and arrested five persons during a four-day marijuana sweep.
From Monday through Thursday (September 22-25, 2003), East Hawaii Vice Section and patrol officers concentrating in the Hamakua, North Hilo, South Hilo and Puna Districts seized 3,486 marijuana plants ranging in height from seedlings to nine feet.
They also conducted a number of search warrants, including:
- A search warrant in the Orchidland subdivision of Puna that resulted in the recovery of 147 marijuana plants in an indoor operation, 2.6 pounds of dried marijuana and a .308-caliber semi-automatic rifle. They arrested and charged a 48-year-old male in the case.
- A search warrant in the Fern Acres subdivision of Puna resulting in the recovery of 29 marijuana plants along with a small amount of dried marijuana. Police are looking for a suspect.
- A search warrant in Hilo resulting in the recovery of 80 grams of dried marijuana and 0.3 grams of crystal methamphetamine, or “ice,” and the arrest of two persons.
- A search warrant in Hilo resulting in the recovery of 1.5 grams of dried marijuana and 0.2 grams of crystal methamphetamine and the arrest of one person.
- A search warrant in Hilo resulting in the recovery of three grams of dried marijuana, some crystal methamphetamine and methamphetamine paraphernalia and the arrest of one person.
Police said they will continue the marijuana eradication efforts throughout the Big Island.
# # #