Statistics Show DUI Arrests Occur Mostly on Weekends 04-06-01

HAWAII COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
OFFICE OF THE POLICE CHIEF
PHONE: 961-2244
APRIL 6, 2001

MEDIA RELEASE

An analysis of Big Island police traffic statistics for the past year shows that drivers are most likely to be arrested for driving under the influence on weekends.

Statistics show that islandwide during the year 2000, 454 of the 1,081 drunk driving arrests, or 42 percent, occurred on a Saturday or Sunday. A total of 229 drivers were arrested for DUI on Saturday and 225 on Sunday. The next most frequent day for DUI arrests, Friday, was a distant third with 161 arrests.

The hours from 12 midnight to 3 a.m. accounted for the largest number of DUI arrests, 372, or 34 percent. The next largest time period was from 9 p.m. to midnight, when there were 289 DUI arrests, or 27 percent of the total. Together, the hours of 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. accounted for 661 of the DUI arrests, or 61 percent.

Statistics also show that largest number of major traffic accidents occurred on Friday. On Friday in the year 2000, a total of 363 of 2,120 major accidents, or 17 percent, were reported to the police. The next largest day for major accidents was Wednesday, which accounted for 320 major accidents.

Major accidents are defined as those involving death, injury, and/or property loss in excess of $3,000.

The largest number of major accidents occurred from noon to 3 p.m. The total, 387, accounted for 18 percent of the accidents.

The following are tables showing the number of DUI arrests and major crashes reported, by day of week and time period, during calendar year 2000.

DUI ARRESTS YEAR 2000

Time

Sun

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Totals

2400-0300

76

46

31

38

38

57

86

372

34%

0300-0600

37

5

6

8

15

16

40

127

12%

0600-0900

2

3

2

2

0

0

4

13

1%

0900-1200

4

1

0

1

1

3

2

12

1%

1200-1500

4

2

6

3

4

2

2

23

2%

1500-1800

17

5

11

6

7

5

10

61

6%

1800-2100

41

15

18

22

21

27

40

184

17%

2100-2400

44

25

28

43

53

51

45

289

27%

Totals

225

102

102

123

139

161

229

1,081

21%

9%

9%

11%

13%

15%

21%

MAJOR ACCIDENTS YEAR 2000

Time

Sun

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Totals

2400-0300

38

18

6

10

14

25

36

147

7%

0300-0600

27

8

8

7

10

11

20

91

4%

0600-0900

17

46

43

50

54

61

22

293

14%

0900-1200

39

50

38

45

40

44

49

305

14%

1200-1500

41

49

58

78

53

60

48

387

18%

1500-1800

36

70

66

67

60

81

44

424

20%

1800-2100

37

41

30

39

40

43

54

284

13%

2100-2400

24

22

15

24

22

38

44

189

9%

Totals

259

304

264

320

293

363

317

2,120

12%

14%

12%

15%

14%

17%

15%

# # #


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.