Hawai‘i Police Department
Juvenile Aid Section – Area I
Lieutenant Sandor Finkey
Phone: (808) 961-2254
Report Numbers: 21-036237, 21-036249, 21-036489, 21-036555, 21-036732
Hawai‘i Island police have charged five men for child sex solicitation as part of a multi-agency undercover investigation to catch online child predators. Between Thursday, May 6 and Saturday, May 8, Operation Keiki Shield East Hawai‘i was conducted by members of Hawai‘i Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), along with special agents from the Department of the Attorney General – Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, the United States Secret Service, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The multi-agency collaborative operation focused on targeting individuals who solicit children for sexual acts electronically.
“The people of Hawai‘i, and most especially our children, are safer when state law enforcement agencies partner with our county and federal counterparts,” says Attorney General Clare E. Connors. “The Department of the Attorney General’s Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force is such a partnership, and this joint operation demonstrates our continued commitment to identifying and prosecuting child predators in our communities by working together.”
“HSI Honolulu is committed to arresting and prosecuting those who commit crimes against our keiki,” says Homeland Security Investigations Special Agent in Charge John F. Tobon. “We are happy to work with our partners at the Hawaii Police Department and state level by providing the necessary resources to not only get these predators off the streets, but most importantly provide assistance to the victims.”
The following suspects were arrested and charged during the operation:
- Nolan O. Tallet, 45, of Hilo, charged with Electronic Enticement Of A Child 1. His bail is set at $50,000.
- Sonny Eugenio Puerto, 28, of Kurtistown, charged with Electronic Enticement Of A Child 1. His bail is set at $50,000.
- Kanani Ikaika Perreira-Yurong, 31, of Hilo, charged with Electronic Enticement Of A Child 1. His bail is set at $50,000.
- Joseph Michael Powell, 36, of Hilo, charged with Electronic Enticement Of A Child 1. His bail is set at $50,000.
- Marshall K. Baji, 31, of Nā ‘ālehu, charged with Electronic Enticement Of A Child 1, Promoting Pornography For Minors, Promoting Minor-Produced Sexual Images, Promotion Of A Dangerous Drug 3, Promotion of a Detrimental Drug, Prohibited Acts Related To Drug Paraphernalia, Place To Keep Ammunition, Loaded Firearm On Highway, Permit To Acquire and Registration Mandatory. He was released on his own recognizance.
Hawaii Police Department would like to remind parents to monitor the use of their children’s mobile applications.