Hawai’i Police Department
Officer Joseph Botelho Jr.
December 23, 2010
Media Release (update)
The Hawaii Isle Police Activities League (HI-PAL) is reminding the public that HI-PAL will hold its 30th Annual Winter Basketball Classic in Hilo from Sunday, December 26, through Wednesday, December 29.
Forty-one teams will participate in the following age group divisions:
- Boys 9 and 10
- Boys 11 and 12
- Boys 13 and 14
- Girls 12 and under
- Girls 14 and under
Part of this year’s celebration will include an opening ceremony at the Civic Auditorium on December 26 at 9 a.m. and the recitation of a new anti-meth pledge. The public is invited to attend and to join in taking the pledge.
Invited guests include:
- Police Chief Harry S. Kubojiri
- Mayor Billy Kenoi
- Cindy Adams, director, Hawaii Meth Project
- Radio personality Kat from KWXX
- Lloyd Matsunami, Principal, Waiakea Intermediate School
- Waiakea Intermediate School students Ridge Quitoriano and Kamanu Evangelista, who are the authors of the new anti-meth pledge.
- Waiakea Intermediate School student Kenan Shaw, who authored an anti-meth statement to be displayed at the State Legislature.
Other guests slated to appear and take the pledge include UH football player Mana Silva and UHH basketball player Kirsty Imai. All participating teams from throughout Hawaii Island and Oahu have been invited to attend this opening ceremony.
For more information, call Officer Botelho at 961-2220.