Suspect Shot by Police Charged in Second Shooting Incident 07-02-01

PHONE: 961-2379
JULY 2, 2001

…charged in earlier shooting


A 19-year-old male who was shot by police last month was arrested Monday (July 2, 2001) and charged with a variety of felony offenses for an earlier shooting incident that occurred June 9, 2001, in the Hawaiian Paradise Park subdivision of Puna.

The suspect, Keola Nathen Kanae, of Hawaiian Paradise Park, was charged with one count of second-degree attempted murder, one count of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and 11 counts of first-degree terroristic threatening. Kanae is being held at the Hawaii Community Correctional Center without bail.

The charges were filed as a result of an incident last month at a housewarming in which Kanae allegedly fired several shots.

The attempted murder charge was made after the suspect allegedly shot at a 19-year-old male. The victims of the alleged terroristic threatening charge ranged in age from 10 to 53 years. Other younger children as young as 9 months were in the general area where the shots were fired.

Five days after the shooting incident at the Puna residence, Kanae was shot by police on June 14 in a confrontation with uniformed police officers as he emerged from a vehicle in which a couple allegedly had been kidnapped. Kanae was shot after a gunshot was fired inside the vehicle.

Kanae’s companion, Shaun “Mika” Thompson, 20, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The confrontation occurred after Thompson and Kanae allegedly stopped a car just before 7:50 p.m. on Ainaloa Boulevard about 2.8 miles from the junction with Route 130 in the Ainaloa subdivision of Puna.

Apparently, both males wanted a ride to Kaloli Boulevard in Hawaiian Paradise Park and entered the vehicle without the consent of either the driver, a 64-year-old female, or her passenger, a 65-year-old male.

Before the junction with Route 130, the driver pulled over to the right portion of the roadway and requested assistance from four uniformed officers who were in the area in response to a call reporting a gunshot in the area.

The passenger of the vehicle started sounding the vehicle’s horn to attract the attention of the officers. As the officers approached the vehicle, they recognized Thompson and Kanae seated in the back seat of the vehicle.

One of the officers observed that Thompson, positioned in the right rear passenger seat of the vehicle, was in possession of what appeared to be a rifle. Thompson subsequently pointed the rifle at the officer, who immediately backed away and alerted the other officers of the firearm.

The officers ordered both males to get out of the vehicle, at which time Kanae, positioned in the left rear passenger seat, started to get out of the vehicle when a gunshot was fired within the vehicle. One of the four officers, an 11-year veteran with the department, fired one shot and hit Kanae in the left chest area. The investigation later indicated Kanae was unarmed at the time he was shot.

Later, another gunshot was fired within the vehicle. The officers then discovered that Thompson had sustained an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to his facial and head area.

The officers recovered a sawed-off .30-caliber rifle from Thompson’s body.

Autopsy results released the following day indicate that Thompson died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The shooting incident, initially classified as a coroner’s inquest, was reclassified as a suicide. The autopsy results also revealed that Thompson sustained a second self-inflicted gunshot wound to his face that was not fatal.

Kanae was taken to the Hilo Medical Center, where he underwent emergency surgery for his injuries. He was released from the hospital on June 21 and immediately arrested and charged with a number of offenses stemming from the confrontation with police.

As a result of that confrontation, Kanae was charged with two counts of first-degree terroristic threatening, two counts of kidnapping and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Both Thompson and Kanae were well known to police.

Thompson had been arrested and charged with the following felonies: One count of first-degree robbery, one count of first-degree theft, one count of first-degree assault, one count of first-degree burglary, one count of promoting a dangerous drug, one count of reckless endangering, one count of first-degree terroristic threatening and two counts of second-degree terroristic threatening. In addition, he was charged with 25 other misdemeanor and petty misdemeanor offenses.

Kanae, at the time of the confrontation, was on probation for a previous conviction for first-degree terroristic threatening.

# # #

This entry was posted in Media Releases. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
  • Keep your community safe through Crime Stoppers

    Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the island-wide Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300 and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.00. Crime Stoppers is a volunteer program run by ordinary citizens who want to keep their community safe. Crime Stoppers does not record calls or subscribe to any Caller ID service. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.

    The Crime Stoppers TV Program is available on-demand from Nā Leo TV.