Gunman charged with variety of felony offenses 02-22-03

PHONE: 961-2385
FEBRUARY 22, 2003

David Field

…charged with variety of felonies


Hilo Criminal Investigation Section detectives charged a Hilo man Saturday (February 22, 2003) with a number of felony offenses stemming from an armed standoff with Hilo police Friday and Saturday.

The gunman, David R. Field, 33, was charged about 9:40 a.m. with kidnapping, terroristic threatening, burglary, robbery, possession of a firearm in commission of a felony, being a felon in possession of a firearm, possession of drug paraphernalia and criminal property damage.

He is being held in the Hilo police cellblock without bail.

Field was taken into custody at 9:45 a.m. Friday after officers first talked him into giving up a hostage and later surrendering himself to authorities.

The gunman had holed up in an eighth-floor room at the Naniloa Hotel on Banyan Drive and kept police at bay for more than 15 hours before surrendering without incident. Before he surrendered, police were forced to evacuate many of the 300 guests of the hotel.

After surrendering, Field was then taken to the Hilo Medical Center for treatment of injuries he sustained while fleeing from police. He was later transported to the Hilo police cellblock.

The incident began about 1 p.m. Thursday when Hilo police received information that a felon wanted on several warrants for contempt of court and revocation of probation had been located at the Naniloa Hotel.

Field had checked into a second-floor room at the hotel with a 19-year-old woman. The woman left the room followed by Field, who saw police officers and ran down the hallway and onto a second-floor balcony. Fleeing pursuing officers, he then broke a plate glass window and jumped onto an overhang, then jumped up to an overhang on the third floor and broke another plate glass window and disappeared.

Field apparently had made it to the eighth floor, where he confronted a 51-year-old Maui man who had just checked into the hotel, brandished a .25-caliber semi-automatic handgun, took him hostage and barricaded himself and the hostage in the hostage’s room.

Pursuing police officers discovered the location of Field and his hostage, and the standoff began about 6:30 p.m.

Calling in the Special Response Team (SRT) and hostage negotiators, police then talked to the gunman and about 1 a.m. persuaded him to release the hostage unharmed. More than eight hours later, they talked the suspect into giving himself up without incident.

# # #

This entry was posted in Media Releases. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
  • Keep your community safe through Crime Stoppers

    Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the island-wide Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300 and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.00. Crime Stoppers is a volunteer program run by ordinary citizens who want to keep their community safe. Crime Stoppers does not record calls or subscribe to any Caller ID service. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.

    The Crime Stoppers TV Program is available on-demand from Nā Leo TV.