The 24-hour anonymous vice/drug tip hotline is a means for citizens to provide the East Hawaiʻi and West Hawaiʻi Vice Sections with information relating to illicit drug use and distribution, as well as vice issues such as prostitution, gambling and other related crimes.
What number do I call?
329-“ZERO-ICE” (329-0423) — Information pertaining to Districts of Kaʻū, Kona, South Kohala and North Kohala.
934-“VICE” (934-8423) — Information pertaining to Districts of Puna, South Hilo, North Hilo and Hāmākua.
How does the hotline work?
When you call, you will be asked to provide information. You do not have to provide your name, address or telephone number. All information is kept confidential and within the Criminal Investigation Division.
What happens to the information I provide?
Information is cross-referenced, allowing detectives to determine if additional information related to the criminal activity about which you are calling has been reported in the past. Even “small” bits of information can at times provide detectives with the “missing link” that allows them to take action.
What if I want to speak with a detective directly?
You may leave your name and telephone number with the hotline, and a vice officer will call you as soon as possible. Again, your name and number will remain confidential at all times.
What if I want to report a drug transaction that is happening right now?
If you witness a drug crime — or any other crime — that requires immediate police response: Dial 911. A patrol unit will be dispatched to the area. Many times, vice officers will hear the dispatch and take direct action.
How can I use the anonymous drug tip hot line most effectively?
- Speak clearly and don’t rush. Take your time leaving your message.
- Be as specific as possible in providing the following information:
- Location of the incident, street address of building or house, description of location, nearest intersecting streets and landmarks near or at the scene.
- Description of vehicles involved, such as make, model, color and license plate.
- Description of persons involved, such as height, sex, age, weight, clothing and hair color.
Remember, this is an anonymous tip line. The information and identity of callers are kept confidential.