Domestic Violence Services

This page provides important information on services and phone numbers for victims and families of sexual assault and domestic violence. It happens to many of us. You are not alone.

For immediate emergency response, call 911.

For other information, see these links below:


Someone To Talk To

Talk person to person with someone trained to help you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:

Hale ʻOhana (domestic violence crisis hotline with 24-hour support.)
(808) 959-8864

Sex Assault Crisis Hotline
(808) 935-0677

National Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

TTY for hearing impaired

National Suicide Prevention Line

Teen Dating Abuse

Back to top

Safe Place To Stay

Victims of domestic violence and their children can find safety at Hawaiʻi Island safe shelters. Shelters provide food, clothing, someone to talk to, and a safe place to stay 24 hours a day, 365 days a week. The locations of these shelters are secret.

East Hawaiʻi Hale Ohana (Child & Family Services)
(808) 959-8864

West Hawaiʻi Child & Family Services Shelter
(808) 322-7233

Back to top

Medical Care

For medical emergencies, call 911. The following hospitals have emergency rooms, which are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hilo Medical Center
(808) 932-3000

Kaʻū Hospital (Pāhala)
(808) 932-4000

Kona Community Hospital (Kealakekua)
(808) 322-9311

Hale Hoola Hamakua (Honoka’a)
(808) 932-4100

North Hawaiʻi Community Hospital (Waimea)
(808) 885-4444

North Kohala Community Hospital (Kapaʻau)
(808) 889-6211

Back to top

Medical Clinics

Hilo Bay Clinic
(808) 969-1427

Keaʻau Family Health Center
(808) 930-0400

Pāhoa Family Health Center
(808) 965-9711

Kaʻū Family Health Center
(808) 929-7311

Hui Malama Ola Na Oiwi
Native Hawaiian Health Care System
(808) 969-9220

Back to top

Legal Assistance

Office of the Prosecuting Attorney Victim Assistance
Victim witness assistance counselors at the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney provide victims with crisis and short-term counseling, assist with application for compensation if victims are injured, explain court process, appear in court with victims and can share victims’ concerns with the prosecutor, judge, probation department and parole board.

  • East Hawaiʻi
    (808) 934-3306
  • West Hawaiʻi
    (808) 322-2552


Legal Aid Society of Hawaiʻi

The Legal Aid Society of Hawaiʻi provides help to individuals and families who cannot hire a private attorney with their civil legal needs. Legal Aid primarily assists in the areas of family law, housing law, consumer law, and public benefits. A few examples of civil legal needs would be divorces, rental disputes, and social security claims.

  • Intake Hotline
  • East Hawaiʻi
    (808) 961-2851
  • West Hawaiʻi
    (808) 329-3910

Back to top

Immigrant Victims     

If you are an immigrant involved in family violence, please call the nearest safe shelter. Trained advocates will assist you in talking to persons who understand the legal issues of immigrant victims. There are laws that will protect you. You are not alone.

Safe Shelter 24 hours a day

East Hawaiʻi Hale Ohana (Child & Family Services)
(808) 959-8864

West Hawaiʻi Child & Family Services Shelter
(808) 322-7233

Other Legal Immigrant Resources

Hawaiʻi County Immigration Information Office
(808) 961-8220

National Immigration Law Center

Back to top

Keeping the Attacker Away

1. Make a plan to keep you safe.
2. Tell someone.
3. Teach your family to call 911.
4. Deter those who hurt you by filing for a temporary restraining order (TRO). The TRO, issued by the court, can help protect you from your abuser.
5. Call the following numbers for assistance:

Child & Family Services

  • East Hawaiʻi
    (808) 935-2188
  • West Hawaiʻi
    (808) 323-2664

Back to top

Contact Police

If you are in danger, call 911.

The Hawaiʻi Police Department has trained people who work directly with family violence cases. When police are involved in an investigation, or if victims have concerns or questions about the case, they can call the police department’s non-emergency line at (808) 935-3311.

Link to Domestic Violence Policy Involving Sworn Members


Link to How to Obtain a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO)